One Year of Foundation

Thursday, 21 January 2016


Would you believe that I invested in my first ever foundation last February? On reflection, I have no idea how I ever applied the rest of my make up without it. Blusher and bronzer don't tend to sit on the skin right unless you have a flawless base underneath, and so I'd like to think that my make up game has vastly improved in the last twelve months. I have managed to wiggle five foundations into my collection since my first purchase (all of which are from the drugstore), and have put together a little run down of each one.

Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse (in the shade 'Sand')
This was the first foundation that snuck its way into my make up bag, as I found myself in Boots with a friend last year. Wanting to take the leap into the world of foundation and having no idea where to start, my friend kindly recommended me this little gem. As a first foundation, it was a dream to apply! No brush is really needed with a mousse-y texture, making finger application the way forward. This was my go-to foundation on holiday last year, as I needed something with a good coverage yet a strong lasting ability in the heat. With a matte finish, this classic from Maybelline did the perfect job, and I still reach for it on a regular basis.

Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation (in the shade 'True Ivory')
With a little bit of experience, and having heard so many fantastic things about Rimmel Wake Me Up, I popped into Boots to pick my shade. This is probably the hardest task I've faced since wearing foundation—finding the right colour match! Thankfully I was successful, and this foundation has been my every day favourite for the past ten months. It gives a slight sparkle to my skin, and it's not too oily that it doesn't stay in place. It's the perfect amount of coverage to keep a natural look. I could rave about this foundation all day!

L'Oreal Paris Infalible Matte Foundation (in the shade 'Sand')
The blogosphere is definitely the reason for my investment in this L'Oreal pick, having read endless positive reviews. I made a vital error with this foundation, however, as it is ever so slightly to light for my skin tone. I did wear it quite a bit when I first purchased it, as it gives such an amazing coverage without making my skin look cakey, but I stopped wearing it when my skin started to darken over the Summer. Now that I'm at my palest (love you, winter), I should definitely pop this back into my make up bag and give it another go!

Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation (in the shade 'Warm Honey')
...and then I accidentally went to the other extreme and picked a shade too dark for me. I have definitely learnt a lesson from this though—a lighter foundation can be made to look more natural using powder and bronzer, but a darker foundation doesn't quite share that quality. I've only worn this foundation a few times when I've wanted something a bit thicker on my skin but, regardless of the colour issue, I haven't been too impressed. I've found this to be quite an oily foundation, and it does not stay in place throughout the day.

L'Oreal Paris True Match Foundation (in the shade 'Creamy Beige')
I have no idea why it's taken me so long, but True Match only became a part of my make up collection two weeks ago. Every day that I've worn make up since then (which I have to admit has been about four days; it's revision season and all that), I have applied this beauty to my face and loved every minute. It has the most amazing texture when buffed into the skin, and gives my face that natural, yet covered, look that I aspire for.

All in all, I can see myself alternating between my usual go-to, Rimmel Wake Me Up, and the newbie in my make up bag over the next few months. Now that I know exactly what I'm looking for, I am oh so tempted to dip my toe into higher brand foundations. What foundations, drugstore or high end, would you recommend?

⋅No comments

Post a Comment