Monthly Favourites: August 2015

Tuesday, 1 September 2015


The end of the Summer is upon us, and I can honestly say that I'm quite relieved. Not for the going back to university and actually having to do something with my life part, but for the end of this silly weather. I just want Autumn to be here properly, and to cosy up in all of the big woolly sweaters that stores are starting to bring out. For me, September will actually be another month with little work to do, as lectures don't start back up until the 28th. I cannot wait to move into my new flat in Manchester, and settle in with one of my best friends. It'll also be a great chance to explore Manchester and some nearby cities (I NEED TO GO TO CHESTER ZOO) before I'm thrown into the depths of third year. As for August itself, it's been a lovely month in Nottingham, spent with lots of different friends. It has included three visits to Jack, and one visit from him, which (despite my awful backache) was a wonderful week. Friends-wise, I spent quite a lot of time with a fellow blogger friend Lisa, whose blog I cannot recommend enough. She introduced me to a few cute caf├ęs in Nottingham, and we attended our first ever blogger event together, which you can read all about here. I caught up with a few friends that I only ever get to see a few times a year, and also spent a nice amount of time with my family. On top of all that, I have had a successful month in terms of exercise, going on a run almost every other day. My next challenge is to find a new route in Manchester! Anyway... onto my favourites!

I can't really complain that it's been too hot this Summer, but with quite a lot of humidity in the air I wanted to try my hand at a BB cream. Having heard excellent things about The Body Shop All-In-One, I ventured in to store to find the right shade. After struggling between 02 and 03, a wonderfully helpful staff member gave me some great advice, and I walked away with 03 in hand. It's definitely come in handy on days where I've not wanted to cake my face with make up, and it actually lasts fantastically throughout the day as well.

As there was a buy one get one half price offer on, the lady helping me also convinced me to invest in the Instablur primer. I have wanted to try out a Body Shop primer for quite a while now, but wasn't quite sure what the difference was between Instablur and Wonderblur. After reading a few blog posts, I still wasn't 100% sure, and so I asked the lady to find out once and for all. As Wonderblur is better for skin with definite imperfections (scars, acne, etc), I felt that Instablur was more appropriate for myself, and I have used it every day since.

Spending a fair amount of time in London St. Pancras train station when visiting Jack lead to the inevitable; I stepped foot into the MAC store. Surprisingly, after comprising a massive list of shades that I need in my collection over the last 12 months, I hadn't actually let myself buy one since last September. As my absolute fave 'Brave' is coming to a bittersweet end, I decided to invest in a different nudey pink shade - Syrup. I never thought that I would say this, but I actually think I prefer it to Brave... It's so much more moisturising on the lips as a non-matte shade. It is my absolute go-to lipstick of August (and probably of 2015)!

There is a humungous chance that I picked up this nail polish purely based on its name... #sorrynotsorry. Thankfully, it is actually a shade that I adore, and have nothing like in my vast polish collection. I don't generally tend to buy 'nudes', and lean more towards neutral pinks, but this shade is a beauty. As all Essie polishes do, it glides on my nails with such ease, and has an incredible lasting power too. This is definitely a shade that I will be reaching for when I'm not feeling very striking, but still want a colour on my nails.

This has certainly been my worst worn top of the month. As it goes with literally everything, it is such an easy and care-free top to throw on. I have been loving wearing it with my olive green jeans (which you can read all about in my recent OOTD post here), and it looks fab tucked into my denim a-line skirt as well. I'm sure that it will last me well through the rest of the yearly seasons, looking fab paired with a leather jacket in Autumn.

Image
06: Adult Colouring Books
I'm sure that you'll all be well aware of the adult colouring books that have been surrounding the blogosphere of recent, and as a sufferer of anxiety myself, I thought that I would give them a go. First of all, I purchased The Mindfullness Colouring Book by Emma Farrarons, as it is small enough to fit in my handbag. I thought that it would be excellent to take on long train journeys with me, and that has definitely proved to be true! My Mama Bear has also jumped on the bandwagon, and purchased herself two Millie Marotta colouring book, gifting the Tropical Wonderland one to me. This is definitely a much denser colouring book, that takes a lot more patience, but is full of absolutely stunning artwork. If you suffer from anxiety, or even just general stress, it might be worth investing in one of these!

07: Blackfish
Having been meaning to watch this documentary for a while, Jack and I saw the perfect opportunity to see it through whilst he was visiting me here in Nottingham. It is such a heartbreaking documentary, focusing around the cruelty of Seaworld, and has definitely opened my eyes to a world that I was somewhat unaware of. If you get the chance, Blackfish is well worth a watch. If you have Netflix, you have no excuse...

If you have stuck around until the end, hats off to you! I always forget how long my monthly favourites tend to be, but I do really love writing them. Have you tried anything mentioned? Leave me a comment below!

⋅No comments

Post a Comment