First World Problems // Having Olive Skin

Wednesday, 6 May 2015


Are you Spanish? Or mixed race? Are you wearing fake fan? Have you been tangoed? These, and many others, were the constant stream of questions fired at me as I was growing up. I've always had olive skin, far darker than any other member of my family. Tanning comes naturally to me - I can relax outside in 25° heat for 20 minutes, and I will have an obvious tan line. The reason? It's as much of a mystery to me as it is to anybody else! As much as I love having a constant tan whilst I watch those around me struggle, there are a few disadvantages. What a first world problem, eh? But here are the few that spring to mind...

01: Finding the right shade of make up
I'm aware that pale girls share this problem, but I'm on the other side of the spectrum. It's quite difficult to find my exact skin tone, and this is one of the reasons why I only started to wear foundation just recently. It was just too strenuous to find a perfect match! I'm definitely not looking forward to the hunt after I've been away and am at my peak tan...

02: Light lipsticks look even lighter
As a huge lipstick fan, I would own every single shade that MAC sell if I had the money. The difficulty with having darker skin, though, is that some of the lighter shades don't look quite right. For girls with paler skin, baby pinks look flawless, whereas I can't get away with the same shades without looking like I've stepped out of Geordie Shore. I couldn't count the amount of times that I've swatched MAC's Snob, and put it back in the despair that it won't suit me.

03: Restricted to darker hair
I would also give off a Geordie Shore vibe if I were to have blonde hair. Naturally, my hair is a dirty blonde/a mousey brown, which kind of matches my skin tone. Because of that, I had two options: go lighter, or go darker, and so I opted for the latter. Recently, I find myself lusting after beautiful blonde locks, but know that I wouldn't be able to pull them off. Damn you, genes!

04: Dry skin is more visible
Especially when my tan is new and fresh, my legs can get very dry, and I don't always take the time out of my day to moisturise as much as I should. Dry skin is definitely more visible on darker skin, and there have been far too many a time where I've left the house with white flakes all over my legs - not a good look!

05: "You've clearly been fake tanned"
This is by far the most annoying aspect of having olive skin - the fact that nobody believes that it's natural. With tens and hundreds of beauty products appearing on the shelves every year allowing paler girls to have a natural looking tan, I always get asked if my skin tone is real or not. This then goes back to the questions I mentioned above, accompanied by some very confused faces when they know the facts: I am 100% English (100% Nottingham, actually), neither of my parents have particularly dark skin, and yes, my tan is real.

Although these small things do irritate me from time to time, when it comes down to it, I am very grateful to have such beautifully olive skin. Is there anything that drives you crazy about your skin tone? Leave me a comment below!

⋅No comments

Post a Comment