The Self Love Tag

Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Source
"It's impossible to make your eyes twinkle if you aren't feeling twinkly yourself" - Roald Dahl

A few weeks ago, Emma from Writing Essays with Wine posted 'The Self Love Tag', and it was one of the most refreshing blog posts that I've read so far this year. Because arrogance is viewed as such a negative character trait, people seem to rush to the other extreme of having no self belief. Confidence is not a bad thing - it's quite the contrary. Confidence is such an important quality, and self love is a concept that needs to be better understood. Loving yourself is not a crime! Sharing such a passion, I thought it only appropriate to answer the questions myself. Just as a warning, this is going to be a long one... so grab yourself a cuppa, sit back, and enjoy!

01: What does self-love mean to you?
I've learnt, through experience, that if you don't first love and respect yourself, other people won't love and respect you either. Needing the acceptance of another person, whether that be a partner, a parent, a friend, or generally through social media, you're setting yourself up for a fall.

02: What is your favorite way to pamper yourself?
Occasionally I enjoy relaxing with a lush-style bath, but I'm not a massive bath person. On a regular basis, the simplest way that I pamper myself is painting my nails. If you follow me on Instagram (cheeky plug, you can find me here!), you'll know that I paint my nails as a bi-weekly ritual. Doing my make up always makes me feel pampered, too.

03: What are your three favorite hobbies/pastimes that make your soul feel on fire?
'Make your soul feel on fire' - what a beautiful way to phrase happiness! Firstly, blogging makes me feel unbelievably accomplished, as this little slice of the internet is a place where I can truly be me. Secondly, spending time with my wonderful friends and family. I don't really know if that counts as a hobby, but it's something that fills my heart to the brim. Thirdly, I would have to say dancing. From 7 through 18, my every Saturday morning was spent dancing, acting, and singing. The former of the three gave me an eternal passion, and is something I miss dearly now.

04: What movie always puts you in a good mode when you're not in the greatest mood?
I'm a cry baby by nature, and so sometimes having a much needed weep helps to fix up my emotions. Don't get me wrong - I don't mean having a long, sad cry. Shedding a few tears of happiness can really uplift my heart. Eat Pray Love, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, About Time, and Love Actually are all such feel good classics!

05: Who do you trust so much that you would easily believe in anything and everything they said?
This one's tricky - I'm not quite sure that it's safe to place such faith in one person like that. If anybody, I would have to say my Mum, simply because of how much she means to me.

06: What quote totally motivates you?
As a quote-aholic, I'm going to limit myself, and leave you with three all time favourites!
"What would Blair Waldorf do?"
"Create. Even if it sucks, keep creating"
"If you want to be happy, be"
And of course, the beauty at the top of this post

07: When was the last time you took yourself on a date? What did you do?
...I actually can't answer this question. I've been so busy just recently, with working in retail over Christmas, only being home for a week, and then suffering from exams and revision throughout January. I vow to take myself on a date the next time I have a spare afternoon, where I will walk aimlessly around Manchester city centre, debit card in tow (this could turn out disastrously!)

08: What make-up or beauty products make you feel like a million bucks?
Whenever I'm in the mood for a bath, I wouldn't be without a lush bath bomb. As well as the novelty of sitting in oddly coloured water, they really do make my skin feel divine. As for make up, a strong red lipstick goes a very long way. My favourite is Mac's Ruby Woo, a Winter classic!

09: What is the last thing you did for someone else that made you feel amazing?
There's a lovely Big Issue lady that stands outside of my local Sainsburys. When all of the students had gone home for Christmas, I was still constantly walking through the supermarket on my way to and from work, and we would always smile and wave. On Christmas Eve, I handed her a fiver and wished her a merry Christmas, for which she gave me a gigantic hug, bless her soul! 

10: Do you feel comfortable with and without make-up on?
Never did I ever think that I would feel uncomfortable without make up on, but as 2014 progressed, make up has become a necessity in my life. If needed, I could leave the house bare-faced, but I would want to leave my glasses on to cover up my eyes a little bit. If I'm wearing contact lenses, my face needs a bit of pampering!

11: What piece of advice would you give a child about to grow up with the pressures of today's media and its crushing expectations?
If you want to wear a full face of make up, and if you want to get dressed up no matter where you're going, that is completely okay and you are allowed to do that. Alternately, if you want to wear no make up whatsoever, and want to dress down on a daily basis, that is equally acceptable. If you're doing something for you, nothing that anybody says should stop you. If you're doing something to fit into society, however, that's where you need to have a rethink. Don't do anything for anybody else, especially if it's something that you don't want to do. Just do you!

12: What song puts you in a good mood every time?
It might be cliché, but Happy by Pharrell Williams, which was mentioned in my 'Songs That Sum Up My Year' post. Otherwise, anything sassy that Taylor Swift has brought out, or any songs that I've heard live and have meant the world to me. To give a few examples: All I Want by Kodaline, Bite My Tongue by You Me At Six, Little Lion Man by Mumford & Sons, and Flaws by Bastille.

13: What is the best advice someone gave you or you realized about life?
Something that I've gradually realised in my two decades in this world is that it is okay to cut people out of your life. If somebody in your life makes you feel bad about yourself, you have wrongly labelled them 'a friend'. It's important to realise that you're allowed to destroy everything toxic from your life - and people can be the most toxic of all. Put yourself first!

14: Who makes you giggle like a giggle monster?
Looking back at old conversations, and old Facebook posts, I use to laugh a lot more than I do now. One of my oldest and best friends, Ellie, is the funniest person I have met in my entire life, and she use to make me near wet myself every day. Whenever we have a Skype date, history repeats itself and she has me doubling over with laughter! Oh, and myself, of course.

15: What is something about society that bugs you that you wish didn't?
My answer is identical to that of Emma - the fact that small sexist jokes offend me, also stretching to jokes about mental health. I'm so happy that society seems to be grasping the concept of sexism and taking feminism a hell of a lot more seriously, but there are still small jokes that fly around that I can't help but feel hurt by. I'm forever told to 'lighten up' and 'learn to take a joke', but I just don't find them funny I guess. The same applies for mental health jokes. My life would be easier if neither bothered me, but I'm glad that I have principles that I stick to no matter what.

16: What is one of your favourite things to do on the weekends?
More than likely, I will be at work at the weekend... but on the rare occasion, I am granted a Saturday off! I usually take advantage of the time and head home to see the family, or I meet up with some of the lovely friends that I have gathered in Manchester over the last 18 months.

17: What is something you're really proud of that you've done?
My most proud accomplishment is skydiving in 2012, and raising over £800 for Clic Sargent. Considering that my aim was around the £300 mark, I was absolutely over the moon when the final number tallied in. I was slightly bummed that I was so close to £1000 without reaching it, but £800 is such a massive amount of money to donate to such a wonderful charity.

18: What is one of your favourite memories with one of your friends?
This is such a difficult question! How am I supposed to narrow down just one favourite memory with one of my beautiful friends? If I'm forced to pick... I would have to go with attending V Festival with Lyndsey last Summer. It was such a fantastic weekend spent with my best friend, listening to some of our absolute favourite music live. Dancing to 'Mr. Brightside' was a definite highlight!

19: What advice would you give someone who needs a boost in confidence?
Look at yourself in the mirror, and repeat this to yourself until you start to believe it: I am a beautiful individual, and there is only one of me. I am an important part of something very large and beautiful, and I have the potential to do whatever the hell I want to make my heart burst with joy. I am me, and that is good enough. I am good enough. I am good enough.

20: Lastly, how do you plan on investing in self-love?
Honestly, writing this post has fulfilled me, and I am seriously feeling the self-love right now. A great way to practice self-love is to set yourself goals, and try your absolute hardest to stick to them. Really aim to do the things that you want to do, and you'll thank yourself when you get to where you want to be. And that's exactly what I'm going to do!

Please please let me know if you've taken part in this tag, I thoroughly recommend it!

4 comments:

  1. Great tag! I also find nail painting very therapeutic!!

    Josie XOXO
    Fashion Mumblr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really is, isn't it?? x x x

      Delete
  2. Love that you've done this tag and I loved all your answers. Painting my nails is my favourite thing to do, so therapeutic and calming, also means I have to sit and do nothing for a good hour or so after! So lovely of you giving the Big Issue Lady a xmas gift, its amazing what a little thing like that can mean to someone.

    Emma x
    Writing Essays With Wine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) exactly, really lets you relax doesn't it?? I agree 100% x x x

      Delete