December Favourites: 2014

Friday, 2 January 2015


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! All 365 days of 2014 have passed us by, and we are now forced to move onto our newest adventure. December, for me, has been as festive as ever. University ended for the holidays near the beginning of the month, and my friend Sophie visited me a few days of fun in Manchester. The rest of the month has been spent catching up with a variety of friends, working a fair share of Christmas shifts at work, and an attempt at some revision in preparation for my January exams! The year ended on a high for me, spending the last week of the year back in my home town with my beautiful family. Now that 2015 is upon us, I'm left wondering what the next 365 days have in store for me... let's give a 2014 a sendoff by discussing my December favourites!

01: Cooperative Zip-Through Skater Skirt in Teal
My go-to fashion piece of the month! I purchased it at the beginning of the month when it was £25, and it's now been reduced to £15 in the sale (that is, if it's still there). I'm trying to divert myself away from florals, and wear a lot more basic but effective outfits, and so this skirt fitted perfectly into my new preferred style. I love it so much, in fact, that I might have accidentally purchased the black/white/grey version in the Boxing Day sale... sorry not sorry.

02: Soap and Glory Wonderbronze Shimmer Brick
Bronzer is something that I don't tend to wear a lot of - I am olive skinned, and I am still building myself up through the world of make up. However, after reading such positive reviews of this S&G bronzer, combined with the £20 Boots gift voucher that my parents gave me for my birthday back in October, I suddenly had a desire to try it out. Without an extensive knowledge of how to apply bronzer perfectly, and with no appropriate brush in my possession, the shimmery finish makes it an easy powder to use, with little maintenance.

03: Tanya Burr Limited Edition Lipgloss in Mistletoe Kisses
Fingers crossed that this shade is still available if you want to give it a go, as it is limited edition for Christmas. My love for lipgloss is growing and growing, as I am beginning to see how they add that little something to a lipstick. Tanya is one of my favourite YouTubers, and I love her nail polish range - and so came the time to try out one of her lipglosses! Pairing 'Mistoletoe Kisses' with my Mac Ruby Woo lipstick gave me the perfect Christmas Eve look!

04: Bourjois Little Round Pot Blusher in 'Lilas D'or'
Already having 3 Bourjois blushers in my make up collection, I headed back to Boots wanting more. After swatching a few on the back of my hand, I came across this beautiful deep pink shimmer. What I love so much about Bourjois blushers is how pigmented they are, meaning that the little round pot will last you forever. Just be careful not to go overboard by accident!

05: Barry M Silk Collection Nail Paint in Orchid
The Barry M pastel silk shades were my absolute favourite back in the Summer, and so you can guess my excitement when I heard that they were bringing out an Autumn/Winter silk collection. I've only managed to pick up one so far, but it has instantly become my new favourite polish. Purple is always my go-to colour, and with such a beautiful finish, there couldn't be a more perfect polish for me. I should really count how many Barry M nail polishes I have...



06: Girl Online by Zoe Sugg
Despite how much love I have for Zoe, I didn't really expect too much from this novel. As a young adult novel, aimed at teenagers between 12-16, I wasn't sure that I would appreciate is as 20-year-old... but I was so wrong. There are definitely very young aspects to the book, but the focus that it gives to anxiety and panic attacks is spot on, which was really comforting to read. A lot of people have put criticism on the book for its stereotypical 'finding a boyfriend fixes everything' storyline, but it didn't appear to be that way to me. Yes, it is a tale of young love, but there is a line in the book that specifically expresses that the boy did help to make her feel better, but that she managed it all on her own in the end. Definitely worth a read if you suffer with anxiety!

07: American Horror Story
When Sophie came to visit me near the beginning of December, we watched an entire season of AHS in three days flat. I had such mixed feelings as we went from episode to episode - at first I was confused, but hooked as I wanted to understand, and when it came to an end, I loved it. When she left, though, I was too scared to carry on watching... I would love to watch the following three seasons, but I don't think that it's a TV show that I can watch on my lonesome. Anyone willing to volunteer as my AHS watching buddy???

And that wraps up December, and 2014. I hope that you had a wonderful year - here's to even better one! What have you been loving over the past month? Let me know in a comment!

4 comments:

  1. Never tried any of these products but they all seem lovely! Love, Sjoukje
    www.lemontierres.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Zoe's book a little cliche and predictable, but I enjoyed reading it all the same!

    Josie XOXO
    Fashion Mumblr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more the anxiety input that I enjoyed; I will admit that it was quite predictable! x x x

      Delete