What To Do When You're Homesick

Friday, 19 December 2014

Sources L-R: 01 / 02
After moving out of my family home 15 months ago, I have definitely felt my fair share of homesickness. A few months into living in Manchester, I was so overcome that I actually considered dropping out of university and moving back home. One year on, I am currently half way through my degree, still in Manchester, and feeling a heck of a lot happier. That doesn't mean, however, that I don't still occasionally get knocked down by an uncontrollable wave of longing to go home. Staying in Manchester over the Summer proved a lot easier a feat than I had originally thought, but staying here over Christmas is starting to take its toll on me. Of course, I won't be spending Christmas Day alone in my flat - I am headed home on Christmas Eve, and staying there for 3 days. But going home for such a short amount of time, with not many of my friends still around in Manchester through the holidays, is starting to bring back that homesick feeling. This post is for any of you that live away from home, whether for a job, for university, or just by pure choice, but still feel that yearning to be back where they truly belong. Here are my best tips to get out of that homesick funk - I hope that they bring you some kind of solace this holiday season!

→ If you can, just go home!
As simple as it may sound, go home if you want to go home! For me, it's reasonably easy and inexpensive, and so this tends to be the option that I pick more often that not. Being back with my family, whether for 12 hours, or 12 days, is enough to push my mood back to normal. I'm aware that many of you won't be able to travel back home so effortlessly, perhaps ruling this out as a feasible option. This is where tip #2 comes into play...

→ Have a long, heartfelt chat with the family
Whoever it may be that you're missing, a phone call may just be the antidote to your sickness. I know that a long chat with either my mum or my dad certainly makes me feel ten times better. Saying that, if I'm feeling particularly homesick at the time, there is always the chance that I'll hang up and shed a few tears, but it's definitely better than nothing - especially if you're unable to actually go home and talk to them in person.

→ Settle into your home away from home
One of the reasons that I felt so heartbroken away from Nottingham last year is that I had never made an effort to actually make Manchester my second home. Like the busy body that I am, I was forever in and out of the city, going home for various occasions, as well as other cities to see concerts and to visit friends. From travelling around the country almost every weekend for two months, to then sitting still in Manchester for four weeks was a massive struggle. Now that I've lived here a lot longer, and have had to stay put for long periods of time, I definitely feel a lot more settled, and less in need of heading home at every given opportunity.

→ Stay productive
This is always a piece of advice I give, no matter what the reason that you've got the blues, and it certainly slots into feeling homesick just as well. Maybe it's just me, but the busier that I am, the happier that I am. I actually enjoy going to university and work every day, to be around other humans. It's nice to have a duvet day every now and then, but I don't like feeling like I'm wasting my time when I could be back home with my family. Remaining productive and getting the most out of my day makes me feel so much better.

If I'm being completely honest, writing this post has actually made me quite emotional, and miss home hugely - oops! No worries, though, as I'm home tomorrow evening to see a pantomime with Mama Bear, and then I will return again on Christmas Eve for a much needed few days with three of my favourite people in the world. What do you do when you're homesick? Leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't actually seen anyone else write a post about this but it's really nice to know I'm not the only one who gets homesick. My family who I'm really close with, live in France and I moved to England in September and it been really hard only seeing them about once every 2 months, I'm also not very good at making friends so that kind of makes it worse x sorry for rambling in your comments hahah x

    myappellative.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either actually, just came to me as I was sat here feeling sorry for myself haha! Oh my goodness, France to England must be quite difficult. I miss my parents after a week, no mind two months or more! Haha no worries lovely, it's always nice to know that somebody is experiencing something similar to yourself :) I hope that it gets easier for you, and that you have a wonderful Christmas! x x x

      Delete