Happy Birthday Papa Bear!

Tuesday, 23 December 2014


Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the second photograph? My dad, the legend. Today is a milestone birthday for him, and alike this post that I wrote for my Mum's birthday back in July, I am going to write a short dedication to the wonder that is my Father. Unfortunately, I cannot be with him for his special day, and so I hope that this will provide enough love and virtual warm hugs until we can be reunited tomorrow evening for a joint Christmas and birthday celebration!

To my daddy dearest...
Happy birthday you old git! Don't worry, I won't reveal to the masses of the internet your true age (although your grey hair is starting to become a huge giveaway). Let me begin by expressing my appreciation for the support system that you provide me with. It's no secret that moving away from home and learning how to fend for myself has been a slow and steady struggle, but you were there with me every step of the way - and for that, I could not be more grateful. Despite all of my doubts and fears, you always place your full faith in me.

I would definitely say that you and Mum have two different parenting techniques, which are both equally as effective. Where Mum tends to play the 'good cop', if you will, holding my hand through rough patches, you sometimes prefer to deal me with a hand of tough love. Certainly when I was younger, and thought the world would fall at my feet, I didn't understand how this could ever be constructive. But now, as I'm growing older (and hopefully wiser), I am starting to feel the need for your slightly harder approach. You know the saying, "good things happen to those who wait"? Try turning that into "good things happen to those who put in hard work and determination" - that is exactly what you have taught me. Put the effort in, and the rewards will come reaping back to you.

Thank you for always believing in me the way that I should believe in myself. Whatever success I achieve in life, and wherever I manage to go, I owe it all to you. You have not only given me the drive to prove to you that I am as good as you believe me to be, but you have also given me the confidence that I can actually do whatever I want to... and if it all comes crashing down, I know that you'll be there, with outstretched arms, to help pick up the pieces. You really are a truly remarkable father, and I wish you the happiest of birthdays. I love you, Papa Bear.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Baby Bear. Love you with every shred of my being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute post, and when I saw your dad's comment it made me a bit emotional. It's great to see how much you love your father. <3
    www.lemontierres.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, it made me a bit teary eyes as well. I'm so lucky to have such a great family :) x x x

      Delete