2014 In Review

Wednesday, 31 December 2014


As the year is drawing to a close, with 2015 on the horizon, what else is there left to do but take a step back and look at what I have achieved within the last year? I'm sure that I am not alone in making this a yearly blogging tradition (see my 2013 review here). For me, 2014 was a mixed bag. It was a year of renewed strength, a year of heartbreak, and a year of laughter - it could have been better, but it certainly could have been a lot lot worse.


January - Always the worst month of the year... (I'm not looking forward to the next 31 days). I don't mind the Winter so much when there's a festive build up to Christmas, but once the holidays are over, all that's left is cold, miserable weather. I was still in Nottingham for the first two weeks of 2014, soaking up as much time with my family and friends as I possibly could. I started the year with very mixed feelings - I was headed back to university, but I really didn't want to. After a mass effort to sort myself out, I pulled through and managed to bring my happiness levels to a new high.
→ Favourite Blog Post - Letter To My 17-Year-Old Self


February - I made every effort to bring a bit of exercise back into my life in February, which definitely didn't last very long. Hey, there's always 2015! February was also the month that Cat and I decided where we were going to live. Valentine's Day was spent cuddled up with Lizzy and a big tub of Ben & Jerry's, watching a Nicholas Sparks classic - I couldn't have asked for a better evening. My best friend Lyndsey came to visit me at the end of the month, as we had tickets to go and see both 5 Seconds of Summer and Russell Howard all in the same week.
→ Favourite Blog Post - The Crazy Notion of 'True Love'


March - The third month of the year saw a weekend trip to Aberystwyth in Wales to visit my oldest friend, Victoria. March also saw a short trip home to see Jack Whitehall with the family - a Christmas present for my parents from my brother. At the end of the month, Ellie came down from Leeds to see me a few days, which was so so lovely. Before heading home for Easter, Rich and I hit up the Northern Quarter in Manchester to discover some of the best bars.
→ Favourite Blog Post - It's Gonna Be a Good Year!



April - I was home for the majority of April, as we had a three week break from university for Easter. The last week of Easter saw a trip to Spain for just myself and my parents, which was a lovely way to spend some quality time together. April was the month of 2014 that my heart shattered into a thousand pieces, as our dear dog, Otto, finally passed away. All that I can say is that I am grateful that I was home and managed to say goodbye to him, and that although I am fine, his loss has left a scar in my heart. Heading back to Manchester at the end of April was almost a relief, as though I could forget about the tragedy entirely.
→ Favourite Blog Post - The Love of My Life



May - After a phone call from the Manchester Fat Face offering me a job in April, but having to politely decline as I wouldn't be around over Summer, I made the bold decision to stay put after all. Unfortunately, the job had been taken before I had changed my mind, and so I went hunting for a different job instead - and this is when I came across French Connection. Although definitely my least favourite job out of the three that I have now had, FC did give me a wonderful four months full of new friends, and a sense on belonging in Manchester at last. Meg and I also might have gone to see One Direction in May... sorry not sorry.
→ Favourite Blog Post - Company // How The Internet Helped The Introvert



June - Summer began in June for me, and it was a very busy month indeed. After finishing my exams for the year, each member of my flat moved out. Working at French Connection meant that I was in and out of the city, as I didn't want to stay living in my halls. This Nottingham-Manchester commute only lasted a week however, as I then jetted off to Turky for 12 days to visit my wonderful friend Sophie! We had a lovely near two weeks in the sun together, forever in competition for the better tan - she definitely has an unfair advantage in the fact that she's half Turkish...
→ Favourite Blog Post - Moving Out (Of University Halls)



July - I had a few days back in Nottingham, before heading back to Manchester to move into mine and Cat's new flat. July saw 4 different visits - Victoria, Lyndsey, my brother, and my Mum. Vicky came up to see me for a day or two, and we headed off to the Trafford Centre for a bit of quality shopping time. Lyndsey stayed with me for a few days as well, overlapped by a flying visit from my brother on his way to Vietnam. At the end of the month, my Mum decided to visit so that she had the chance to see my flat for the first time, and to experience Manchester properly. July also was the beginning of mine and Katie's wonderful friendship - I love that girl!
→ Favourite Blog Post - 10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Me



August - August was the highlight of my Summer, as I spent three wonderful days with Lyndsey in a tent at V Festival. We got to see some amazing artists, including Example, Ed Sheeran, Rizzle Kicks, Kodaline, The Kaiser Chiefs... the list goes on and on. Either side of the weekend, I squeezed in a few days back at home, where I got to spend some quality time with my brother, my good friend Emily, and a few friends from school that I hadn't seen in over a year. August was also the month that I decided to move on from FCUK, securing myself an interview with Fossil...
→ Favourite Blog Post - Home Is Where The Heart Is


September - ...which I passed with flying colours! I have now worked at Fossil for three and a half months, and I could not be happier. Before university started back up, I took another quick trip home to see Lee Evans. As luck would have it, I managed to see him perform in his last ever comedy tour, as he recently announced that he's retiring from stand-up. Mama Bear came up for another visit, and we went to go and see War Horse at the Lowry, which was remarkable. Reunions took place all over September, as my university friends returned back to Manchester.
→ Favourite Blog Post - From Me To You



October - the month of the year that I realised how boring my life is, as I took part in Vlogtober (all of the videos are here). Nevertheless, I do love my boring life! As always, October saw a few visits back home, including a lucky weekend off work, a one-night-stop-over to see Ed Sheeran (!!!), and a week long visit to celebrate my 20th birthday. Gossip Girl finally let go of my life, too!
→ Favourite Blog Post - Six Months Later



November - As soon as Halloween is over, my heart begs for Christmas! Cat and I watched out first Christmas movie near the beginning of November in the form of The Grinch. Two trips home included seeing Paloma Faith and James Blunt, both with Mother dearest. November was also the month that I finally decided to get involved with the student newspaper - The Mancunion. I have now written three articles, the best of which you can find here.
→ Favourite Blog Post - Why Do We Fall?



December - and here we are, at the end of the year, ready to start anew. December was mostly spent in Manchester, only heading home for the holidays right before Christmas itself. Meg and I began to look for a flat together for next year, and my lovely friend Sophie visited me for a few days. We got to experience the Trafford Centre at Christmas, which was beyond beautiful. I have now spent a wonderful week back home; I could not have asked for a better end to the year.
→ Favourite Blog Post - It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year


What has been the highlight of 2014 for you? Leave me a comment below!

6 comments:

  1. Happy new year, honey!

    http://anna-alina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really nice year. You've been to so many gigs/shows as well, very lucky! :D
    Hope you have a great 2015 as well.
    Emma xx
    Writing Essays With Wine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise quite how many until I wrote this post up! It's insane haha! Thank you muchly :) x x x

      Delete