Worst Fears // Banished to 'Room 101'

Thursday, 9 October 2014

SOURCES: 01 / 02 / 03
What are some of your worst fears - the thoughts that occupy your mind with dread and terror, that have you sitting bolt upright from a gruesome nightmare in the dead of the night? Is it a fear of failure, or a fear of disappointing your friends and family? Is it sharks, lions, and other man-eating creatures? Perhaps it's the things that go bump in the night? Whatever it is that gives you goosebumps and makes your skin crawl, it would go in 'Room 101'. To add a bit of context, 'Room 101' was a term coined by George Orwell, in his novel 'Nineteen Eighty-Four'. It was a torture chamber where the prisoner was inflicted by their worst nightmare... "You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world." After careful deliberation, I have picked three fears that I think would go into my Room 101. They are as follows...

01: Ending up alone/being lonely
However you phrase it, the words 'alone' and 'lonely' frighten me. If you're an avid reader of my blog, or know me personally, you'll know that I'm a hopeless romantic. The thought of not finding my Prince Charming devastates me. Personally, I think that the meaning of life is to give it your own meaning, and for me, it's to "have a baby girl with tiny fingers and tiny toes someday" and "pour love into her until it’s overflowing" (source)... and how can I do that all on my own?
→ Let's look on the bright side... as long as I have friends and family that I love and cherish, I will never be truly 'alone'.

02: Bees/wasps
Dialling it down a notch, bees and wasps are one of my greatest fears of all time. Ask anybody - if there is a bee or a wasp within a 10 metre radius, I will run for my life. Literally. The thing is, I do understand why we need bees. They actually help our eco-system, collecting pollen and nectar, and pollenating plants in the process - they have a worthy role. Wasps, however.. that's a different matter. What do they even do????? I'm sure the majority of the world would be much happier if wasps didn't exist, and we could all happily eat our dinner outside during the Summer without the fear of an army of angry wasps invading our personal space. Am I right or am I right?
→ Let's look on the bright side... I only have to endure these cruel beasts for 2 months a year!

03: The dark/the unknown
For a long time, I thought that I had a fear of the dark. It was nothing too major; I didn't need a nightlight to sleep, or to be tucked in each night. I'm sure that I'm not alone when I say that the 10 seconds of switching the lights off in my house, and running up the stairs to my room before anybody/anything catches me, is the most terrifying 10 seconds of my day. With this in mind, I realised that it's not the dark that I'm actually afraid of - I have a fear of the unknown. Whether that be literal, as I am not the biggest fan of the sea, or figuratively, as I fear for my unknown future. Either way, the uncertainties that lay ahead of me make my heart race at an inhumane speed.
→ Let's look on the bright side... maybe these uncertainties are a positive thing. Who would want to know how their life turned out, realistically? Why spoil the surprise?

So there we have it - the three things that would be in my 'Room 101'. I could have picked plenty more, but these were the three most striking to me. What would be in your 'Room 101'? Can you think of any ways that your fears can be overcome? Leave me a comment below!

⋅No comments

Post a Comment