Walking Down Memory Lane

Thursday, 10 July 2014

Whilst repacking my bags to move back to Manchester, I came across a photo album that I put together 4 or 5 years ago. An enormous sense of nostalgia washes over me whenever I look back over old photographs. After flicking through the album, and feeling myself taking a walk down memory lane, I decided to dedicate a blog post to discussing a few select photographs. When arranging the photo album a few years ago, I tried my best to order it chronologically, and so I'll go through the photographs I've picked in the same order too. 1, 2, 3... the life of Kassi begins!


Here is a photograph of my Grand-Pa and I, which I can only guess was taken the day that I was born, almost 20 years ago. I remember coming across this photo and not knowing whether it was myself or my brother that my Grand-Pa was holding, but the pink onesie was a give away that it must have been me. Aww, aren't I cute?


As you can clearly see by the ginormous piece of cake that I'm trying to stuff into my tiny mouth, I was a very fat baby. I think that I was probably about 1 or 2 here? It's strange, actually, as I was a large baby, but a slim teenager - whereas my brother was a slim baby, yet a large teenager! I won't lie, food is still the true love of my life, and I'm sure I've recreated this photograph multiple times.


This has always been one of my favourite photographs from my childhood. I look like an oompa loompa! With bleach blonde hair, yet bright orange skin, I was a walking oxymoron. My cheeky grin doesn't help me look any less crazy, either. A smile can't help but stretch across my face whenever I see this photograph, as I just look like the epitome of happiness.


As we've grown older, less and less photographs of myself and my brother, Adam, exist. He left for university 6 years ago, lived in Hull for 4 years whilst he completed his undergraduate and his masters, and then moved back to Nottingham 2 years ago. We managed to live in the same house together again for a year, before I then left for Manchester last September. Growing up, my brother was always the person that I looked up to most in the world - the person that I wanted to be. Even now, when we're both technically adults, I still look up to him more than anybody that I know. He was, is, and always will be my favourite person in the world.


I really wish that it was acceptable to still dress like this for Halloween at my age! Although I love dying my hair darker and darker, and recently experimented a bit more and dyed my hair a red tint, I do love how blonde my hair was when I was younger. I've never had the urge to dye it back to blonde, mainly because I'm always so tanned and I don't want to give off a 'geordie shore' kind of look, but I do sometimes envy my younger self and her light locks.


This is another one of my favourite photographs from my childhood - it sums my life up very well. I've always thought of my dog, Otto, as a symbol to represent my childhood, and so any photograph with him in is a favourite. Especially one where he's so young and looks so tiny! Check out my yellow trousers! Clearly a fashionista from a young age.


God, this really takes me back! When my Grand-Pa was still around (he passed away in 2006), he would come round to our house for his Sunday lunch each week. After we'd eaten as much as we physically could, and the plates were stored away in the dishwasher, my Grand-Pa and I would spend the afternoon together, playing board game after board game. Our favourite thing to do, though, was to play cards. In this photograph, I have a feeling that he helped me to put my toys in height order, and I was clearly so proud that I asked somebody to document the occasion!


This photograph never fails to make me chuckle when I show it to other people - the look of shock on their face when they spot my face squeezed in-between my parents'! It was taken in Northern Cyprus, and I have a feeling that it was the first time we'd ever been out there (my parents own a villa out there that we've been to multiple times). I'm almost positive which restaurant it was taken in as well, the name of which I do not remember however.


Another Halloween photograph, but not of me as a witch this time, but of Otto as the Devil! I do not remember him appreciating this very much, as made obvious in the apathetic expression on his face. I cannot believe how young he looks here, he must have only been 4 or 5. We were always doing mischievous things to Otto, dressing him up, taunting him with food, making him chase the light refracting off my Dad's watch... but he loved every minute of it, as did we.


This is my Aunt Shirley. Unfortunately, she passed away in 2007. This has always been one of my Mum's favourite photographs of Shirley, which was taken in Northern Cyprus, quite possibly the year that she died. We were visiting an absolutely gigantic hotel, and this is one of the many impressive chairs that lived inside of it. Although the chair was very big in itself, Shirley was below 5", and so she makes the chair look even bigger!


A brilliant photograph taken on my brother's 18th birthday, 6 years ago now. I managed to capture the exact moment that Adam popped open the bottle of champagne, which made such a loud noise that my Mum screamed. Definitely one of my favourite photographs of her, as it's just such a natural reaction!

These photographs portray the most important aspects of my childhood, and it brings a smile to my face to think that the moments I care for the most are caught on camera. Thank God for technology! If you discover an old photo album, and are the writer of a blog, I'd thoroughly recommend you to write a post on it, like I have. Sometimes it's nice to remember when times were much more simple, and there was far less to worry about!

⋅No comments

Post a Comment