Summer Reading List // 2014

Thursday, 24 July 2014


Despite my endless love for getting lost in a great novel, I've come to the realisation that I don't read enough. Over the past 12 months, I can only remember reading 4 books - The Fault in Our Stars, Every Day, Paper Towns, and My Best Friend's Girl. I could sit here and reel off a whole list of reasons to explain this... "I never have the time", or "I'm an unbearably slow reader", or "there aren't enough good books out there". But really, when it comes down to it, these reasons are nothing but excuses. The real reason that I don't read enough? I'm lazy. I'm internet obsessed. I'm one of the world's largest procrastinators. I could easily squeeze in time to sit down and dive head first into a new book - I just don't. That being said, I had a bit of a look around WATERSTONES recently, and made a little list of books that tickled my fancy. I then went home and ordered my favourites from AMAZON, saving me that little bit extra. When these three beautiful books arrived last week, I could barely contain my excitement, which gives me the hope that I will really commit myself to this Summer reading list.

CHALLENGE: to complete all three books by the time I begin my second year of University in the middle of September. It may not sound like a very hard challenge, but combine my laziness with the slow speed at which I read, and the challenge increases in difficulty. Let's take a closer look...



THE GOLDFINCH by DONNA TARTT -
"Aged thirteen, Theo Decker, son of a devoted mother and an absent father, miraculously survives a catastrophe that otherwise tears his life apart. Alone and rudderless in New York, he is taken in by the family of a wealthy friend. Theo is tormented by longing for his mother and down the years he clings to the things that most reminds him of her: a small, captivating painting that ultimately draws him into the criminal underworld."

This novel appealed to me because of it's heartbreaking nature. Although I do love a good 'whodunnit', the genre of books that I tend to read have to move me in some way. Not until I received THE GOLDFINCH in the post did I realise how long a book it is, and so I will be saving this one until last.


THE BOOK THIEF by MARKUS ZUSAK-
"1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier. Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall."

When THE BOOK THIEF was brought out as a film, I was very intent in going to see it. Nevertheless, I somehow managed to let the opportunity pass me by, and so I am still unaware of what everybody describes as such a beautiful story. I am a big believer in reading the book before seeing the film, and so I am actually quite thankful that I didn't manage to see the film at the cinema in the end!


GONE GIRL by GILLIAN FLYNN -
"Who are you? What have we done to each other? These are the questions Nick Dunne finds himself asking on the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, when his wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they weren't made by him. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?"

This kind of mysterious storyline reminded me quite a lot of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, weirdly. In each season of DH, there'd be a new mystery, which wouldn't get fully resolved until the end. I loved this about DH, and so my fingers are crossed to love this book as well. It's the first book that I've decided to dig my claws into... and so far, so good!

Not mentioned is an extra book that my Mum was so kind to purchase for me - 'How to Build a Girl' by Caitlin Moran. This book will also be a part of my Summer reading list!

Do you have a Summer reading list planned for yourself? Or perhaps you're constantly found with a book in your hand? Comment below what books you've been loving/are interested to pursue!

6 comments:

  1. Love Mark Zusak, think he is an ace author! I am getting really into reading this summer so will have to give these a go. Great post xx

    http://yougottabegorgeousx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read anything by him (yet!), so hopefully I'll agree with you in a few months time :) thank you, I've followed you on bloglovin by the way x x

      Delete
  2. The Book Thief is increeedible, 100% worth taking the time to read the book before watching the film! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooove stories about ww2 and the halocaust, so fingers crossed I'll love it! x x

      Delete
  3. Gone Girl is a great book, I wasn't sure If I would like it but It totally hooked me and I couldn't put it down! I've written a reading list which you can check out here , and The Book Thief is on it as well!

    Emma x
    Writing Essays With Wine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about 50 pages in (told you that I read slow.../procrastinate). Definitely gonna have to check out some of the books on your list :) x

      Delete