May Favourites: 2014

Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Five months of the year have been and gone, and I don't feel as though I've accomplished anything worthwhile yet this year. Having said that, I have just completed my first year of university, and so that is something to be proud of! Anyway, here are my favourite five beauty products from May, and a few random bits and bobs that I've been loving too. Enjoy!


Although I'm a big lipstick lover, I've never felt the necessity to cover up my skin. Usually, my daily make-up routine consists of concealer under my eyes and to cover up any blemishes, blusher, mascara, and lipstick. However, I've wanted to experiment with contouring for a while, and after reading glowing reviews, I bought this Sleek 3-in-1. As many of you may know, I am olive skinned all year round, and so I was not expecting to come away with the shade 'light'. The reasoning, though, is because I wanted 1 of the 3 to be a blusher, and this was only an option with the lighter two shades. The bronzer is perfect for my skin tone, though, so I actually lucked out in the end!

After buying this concealer, I have no idea how I ever lived without it. Despite having never invested in a foundation, concealer has always been a part of my make-up routine, mainly for spots more than anything else. This product is the most highly rated concealer throughout the blogging community, and so I thought that I should give it a go. In the past, I've used a few different concealers, ranging from Natural Collection (would not advise), to No7 (would advise), to Yves Sant Laurent (would advise, but very pricey). Lasting Perfection, however, is just everything that you could want from it and more. It's been used so heavily throughout May that it's now almost ran out, and so that'll be my next repurchase!

As I have never needed a brush for anything other than blusher until just recently, I've always made do with a kabuki brush from Seventeen that my Mum gave to me years and years ago. However, after purchasing the Sleek Face Form, I decided that it was time to invest in my first proper brush... and what better than a blush brush!? As I don't often wear that much make-up, I've never understood the novelty of having expensive brushes, but the Real Techniques Blush Brush allows me to apply my blusher exactly how I want it, along with being one of the softest things that I've ever touched! As my make-up collection branches out more and more, I'm sure that I will come to be the possesser of many more Real Techniques brushes.

I spoke about this lipgloss a recent blogpost, 'Five Lip Products That I Love' (here), as not only is it one of my favourite products of May, but it has now become one of my favourite lip products ever. I've never been a lipgloss fan at all, as I always find the consistency too sticky, and my hair getting caught on my lips was forever a nightmare. I've found that with NARS though, as it's an expensive brand, it's going to have the benefit of being better quality. Because of this, I've not experienced the same problems I've had with cheaper lip glosses, and I just love the way that it feels, tastes, and looks on my lips! Perhaps I'm only suited to expensive lip glosses...

#5 - TOPSHOP NAIL VARNISH in ?
Unfortunately, the number/name of this nail varnish has rubbed off of the bottom of the bottle, and I cannot find a colour that looks even vaguely similar on the Topshop website... strange? I'd describe it as a mauve kind of colour, so that's what I'm going to refer to it as! This has been my go-to nail varnish of the month. Because I've started a new job, and I've had exams to revise for, I've actually barely painted my nails at all this month. I've varied between different shades of pink mostly, but this is the colour that I've worn the most. It's just the perfect colour to go with everything, so that you don't have to worry about your nails being too extraordinary for your outfit!

Images from Google

After hearing so many good things about this show, and with nothing to watch anymore because I'd finished watching Boy Meets World, I decided to give this a go... and I have not been disappointed! I'm kind of glad that I started to watch this during my exam season, as there are only 13 episodes, but I'm still 2 from the end. Normally, I would have watched the entire thing within 2 or 3 days, but I've managed to make it last me two or three weeks instead. Now that all of my exams are over, I can finish the series without feeling guilty, and just in time for the new series! 

Sticking with the theme of orange (not intentionally, of course!), I have eaten far too many chocolate oranges in the past two weeks. Seeing that they were on offer for £1 each in Sainsburys a few Fridays ago, I bought 3... oops. Since then, I've managed to buy one each time I've been into/passed a Sainsburys, and I figured out that I'd eaten 5 within 9 days. I'm allowed to eat chocolate during exam season, right? Now that my exams are over, I can't quite use that excuse anymore. I promise that I'll eat healthier for the second half of the year!

What've you been loving throughout May?

⋅No comments

Post a Comment