#YesAllWomen

Monday, 26 May 2014

Picture from tumblr

DISCLAIMER: I would like to let it be known that I have, thankfully, never experienced any form of sexual abuse or non-consensual activity. This post is purely my views on 21st century rape culture, and I do not claim to know all of the facts, nor do I claim to know anything I am saying through experience. The trigger for this post is the recent UCSB shooting in the USA, which sparked the '#YesAllWomen' hashtag all over the internet. Feminism and rape culture always has been and, unfortunately, probably always will be a massive topic surrounding the internet, but this recent event has brought out more women than usual to stand up for their rights.

As an avid member of the most popular social media networks (such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram), it is hard to go a day without reading/seeing something linked to feminism or rape culture. I feel that it's important that I define those two phrases, for the purpose of this blog post.

FEMINISM: a belief that the women in our society are at a disadvantage to the men, and that this disadvantage is both unfair and unequal. A belief that men and women should be equal - NOT, a belief that women are more important than men. (my own definition, which I do not hold to be the proper definition, but simply the way that I view it)

RAPE CULTURE: Rape culture is a term that was coined by feminists in the United States in the 1970’s. It was designed to show the ways in which society blamed victims of sexual assault and normalized male sexual violence. (Source)

For those who are not aware, I will outline the recent UCSB shooting. A 22-year-old male made a video of himself speaking to his camera, discussing how he was a virgin, and wanted to punish women for never wanting to have sex with him. He also spoke about how he wanted to punish all of the men that have managed to have sex with women, and explained how he was the perfect person and could not fathom why girls would not want to sleep with him. It was such a chilling video, as he spoke so calmly to the camera about his plans, and even laughed every now and then as he spoke about how he wanted to annihilate his victims. He then stabbed his 3 roommates before taking off onto the streets of California in his BMW, and shot 3 people. He then shot himself. If you want to know more about it, you can click here to watch some of the video. Otherwise, I'd just advise you to google 'UCSB shooting', as there are plenty of articles all over the internet.

What I don't understand about rape culture is why the focus in our society relies heavily upon women protecting themselves, rather than on men controlling themselves. Why is it normal for my friends to ask me to text them when I get home safely? Why is it normal to be cautious getting into a taxi be yourself after a night out? Why is it normal to fear creepy men coming up to you in nightclubs? Why is it normal to be afraid to walk home alone in the dark? Why is it normal for women to know how to protect themselves from the opposite sex? None of these things should be the definition of normality. None of them.

Like I said, the internet is a very feminist dominant place. This event sparked even more feminist pride, however. I've wanted to write a post on rape culture for a long time, but it's such a sensitive subject. I was never sure how to get my words across, but after seeing so many inspirational pictures and quotations over the past few days, I decided that the time was right. Instead of writing more about it myself, I am simply going to post a few pieces of inspiration below, along with a few links where you can find even more.


The following photos have been taken from Project Unbreakable (click here)

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I do think we have to remember that Elliot Rodger is thought to have had mental health problems, and although the issues you outlined do relate to the incident, in this particular case it seems as though they aren't the fundamental causes of his rampage. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) whether he had mental health problems or not, I was just trying to highlight the fact that there are still people around in present day that have the idea that women owe men sex, which I thought linked well with rape culture x

      Delete