"If Your House Caught On Fire, What Would You Try To Save?"

Sunday, 4 May 2014

It's one of those age old questions that everybody's been asked at some point in their life, but thankfully, not everybody has had to deal with the reality of it. I've never fully answered the question, when I've been asked before, so I thought I'd pick five possessions that mean a lot to me, and explain why. As I'm currently sitting in my university dorm room, my five choices will be things I have with me here in Manchester, rather than the few important things I have back in my bedroom in Nottingham (to give an example, the locket that my Grand Pa gave to me, that once belonged to my Grand Ma). And so, in no particular order...

#1 - MY FRIENDS BOX SET


If you know me at all, you'll know that I am one of the biggest FRIENDS fans to walk this earth. Not only have I seen every episode over 10 times each, I can even go so far as quoting the bloopers - I know the show that well. Truth be told, I've not actually watched the box set at all since coming to university. My attention in the world of TV has been elsewhere - my Desperate Housewives box set, my Cougar Town box set, and of course, my dear friend Netflix. Nevertheless, I've grown up watching and quoting FRIENDS, and I wouldn't be the same without it - that is why I would risk my life to save my FRIENDS box set!


#2 - MY COPY OF 'THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER'


However overrated 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' is nowadays, it will always have a very special place in my heart. I first read the book in February 2011, having seen the infamous "we are infinite" quote floating around Tumblr. At the time, I wasn't in a very good place in my life, and I could not have felt more alone. After reading Perks, though, things started to get better for me. I started to realise that there are other people with other problems in the world, and that however much I felt it, I would never actually be alone. Not to be cliché, but in all honesty, the book saved me, and so I feel an obligation to save it back.


#3 - A PHOTOGRAPH OF MY BROTHER, MY DOG, AND MYSELF, WHEN WE WERE ALL MUCH MUCH YOUNGER


As much as I love receiving presents of things that I want but can't afford, it means a lot to me when I receive something personal. My brother gave this to me for Christmas 2012, and it has been one of my favourite possessions ever since. Although I cherish the fact that we live in an age of digital photos (how else would I be making this blog post!?), I do often wish we could go back to the age of physical photographs and physical photo albums. How magical would it be to find a photo from 10 years ago that you didn't even know existed, instead of seeing them on a regular basis because they're all over your Facebook profile? I took this present with me to university last September, and displayed it amongst other photo frames of myself and my friends. None mean as much to me as this one, though, especially considering recent circumstances about my dog. (By the way, I'm clueless about why there is a lone scrabble piece on my shelf... taken my love for scrabble to a whole new level!)


#4 - MY MACBOOK PRO


(A cheeky bit of self promotion never hurt anyone, did it?) It wouldn't be the 21st century if I didn't include a piece of technology. I'm sure a lot of people answer the question with every technology piece that they own - their laptop, their phone, their camera, their iPad, their iPod, etc etc etc. Because of this, I decided to limit myself to one, and I've picked my laptop. Not to exaggerate, but my laptop is literally my life. Although I spend far too much time on my phone, nothing can compare to what a laptop can do. I honestly cannot imagine living in an era without technology, despite how nice I sometimes think that would be. If my house was on fire, there would be no doubt about it that I would try to save my laptop... I'd rather die with it than let it die alone!


#5 - MY HIEROGLYPH EGYPTIAN NECKLACE (MY CARTOUCHE)


This is something I've worn constantly for the past (almost) 4 years that I have owned it. In August 2010, my family and I took a holiday down the River Nile, and both my brother and I had necklaces made. Mine has my name on it (Kassi), and my brother's has our family name on it (Allcock). I would have had 'KassiElla', but I felt it would have been too long and too overcrowded - I think it looks simple with only five letters. Apart from showers, and days where I want to wear fancier jewellery, I've not really taken mine off... it's sort of become a part of me. Needless to say that my brother doesn't wear his anymore and, as it has our family name on it, my Mum actually wears it now. I'm not sure why I wouldn't be wearing it in the first place, but this necklace would be something that I would never leave without, as it has grown to mean a lot to me in the past 4 years.

That was actually a lot harder than I thought it'd be! There were a lot of runners-up, such as my phone, my favourite shoes, my pillow pet of Perry the Platypus, and necessities such as my contact lenses. These five possessions, though, are the things I would be lost without, and would be my priorities to save if my house ever caught on fire. What would you save?

⋅No comments

Post a Comment