A Little Life Update

Thursday, 8 May 2014

Although I can be a very lazy person, I'm always at my best when I'm being productive. A busy Kassi is a happy Kassi, as long as I get a breather every now and again. Because of this, and many other factors, I've come to a decision over the past month or so to stay in Manchester over the Summer. It's no secret that I've found my first year of university hard; I've been homesick, I've had issues with my course, issues with where to live next year, issues with not being a 'typical student'. Despite having enjoyed my second semester a whole lot more than my first, I'm partially scared that if I go home to Nottingham over the Summer, that I won't want to come back to Manchester come September. Pairing that fear with my desire to stay busy, I decided to go job hunting in Manchester city centre. If I could find a job, I'd stay, and if I couldn't, I'd go home - a simple plan, right? I didn't quite realise just how simple it was, however, as a week after giving in my CV into French Connection, I have my first proper shift there this Saturday, and I went for my induction today! Now to fill you in on the rest of my week!



Catherine and I went for lunch together on Monday to Patisserie Valerie, and it was beautiful! I went for the full English breakfast, while she chose the vegetarian version. I also had this amazing milkshake! Cutest little café chain I've ever come across.


After my job interview on Tuesday morning (after which I was instantly offered the job; best feeling in the world!), I took the train home to Nottingham for the night to see West Side Story at the theatre with my mum. I'm starting to really enjoy train journeys, because they're long enough to get a little bit of work done, but they're short enough so that they don't drag on forever. I used the train journey to read this month's edition of Company magazine. I've actually made a list on my phone of all the things mentioned that I want to look into, such as books, cosmetics, skincare, clothes, and even a YouTuber! For some reason, Catherine and I could only find it paired with Cosmopolitan magazine, and we weren't able to buy it separately. Has anybody else had this issue!?


Nottingham can be so beautiful sometimes! West Side Story was incredible. All I knew about it was that it's vaguely similar to Romeo and Juliet, but a lot more modern as it has the concepts of gangs. My mum and I throughly enjoyed it, as we do the majority of the theatre that we go and see. Although the ending was still sad, I was very happy to see a different ending to the tragic one of Romeo and Juliet! It's such a wonderful story to be portrayed in a theatre environment, as they fully took advantage of all the features they had to their disposal. For example, there was a whole scene where everybody dressed in white to represent heaven, to give the message that when you're dead, it doesn't matter what colour your skin is, or where you're from - everybody is equal. I just love the theatre! I'll have to keep a look out to see what's on in Manchester, and hopefully my mum can come and visit me for the night, and we can go and see a play together!


Wednesday morning came, and I found it very difficult to go back to Manchester. Before I'd actually secured a job, the prospect of not coming home for the Summer was just that - a prospect. Not a reality. Once I'd realised what a big decision I'd made, it started to really upset me, especially because it had coincided with me coming home for the evening. Without a job, I'd have been coming home from university somewhere around June 4th, but now that I have a job, I won't be able to come home until at least the 11th. And even then, it'll only be for a few days before I head off to Turkey, and then once I come back, I'll only have another few days at home before I have to go back to Manchester for good. The realisation of how little I'd see my family in the coming months suddenly hit me, and I was left feeling scared and confused. After a long chat with my Dad on Tuesday evening, he reassured me that I would be absolutely fine. I'll have a job, which I will have settled into by July, and I'll be living in a flat that I love with a girl that I love, and I'll have a great Summer. And if I ever feel like it's too much, and that I need to come home for a few days, Nottingham is only 100 minutes away on a train.


Cheeky selfie! This is a picture of myself from this morning, before I headed off to my induction. It was a long day, full of lots of new information and lots of new people, but it also managed to reassure me that it's all going to be okay. The people that work at French Connection in Manchester all seem like such friendly and genuine people, and they all managed to make me feel welcome today. Plus, the store is very customer service based, which is what I loved so much about working at Fat Face. This Summer is going to be a good one, albeit different, but I'll never be able to go anywhere with my life if I can't live away from home for more than 3 weeks. I love the idea of living in Italy for 6 months, or Canada, or America. I need to train myself up for being an independent adult - I'm not just a teenager anymore. But it's always nice to know that, for now, home is less than 2 hours away.

(Note: all of these photos are from my Instagram account, which you can follow here!)

⋅No comments

Post a Comment