Stayed With You // 10 Films

Sunday, 11 May 2014



It's that time again! After picking my top 10 books (here), and my top 10 TV shows (here), I felt it was time to move onto my top 10 films (here!) It wasn't easy though, I'll tell you, as I spend far too much of my time watching them, and far too much of my money buying my favourites on DVD! Netflix is my worst enemy when I actually have to get some work done...

Rules: In a text post, list ten films that have stayed with you in some way. Don’t take but a few minutes, and don’t think too hard — they don’t have to be the “right” or “great” works, just the ones that have touched you.

After deciding to only choose from the films that I own on DVD, I realised that I have quite a substantial DVD collection, and so it barely limited down my options. One thing that did help, however, is that my DVD collection is currently split into two halves - those that are still in Nottingham, and those that are here with me in Manchester. After slightly breaking the rules by thinking way too hard about it, I managed to pick my top 10, which you'll notice I've put in alphabetical order (because I'm organised like that). So, without further ado...

#1 - ABOUT TIME



ABOUT TIME is actually the newest film out of my top 10, as it came out last year. My flat and I went to go and see it at the cinema, and we were all in buckets of tears, some more than others (here's where I raise my hand!) A few weeks ago when my parents and I were in Spain, I made them watch it too, as I knew that they'd love it. It's such a feel good film, where you're left feeling as though everything in your life is going to turn out okay. If you haven't seen it, I would highly recommend you to, especially for its brilliant cast, with the likes of Rachel McAdams and Bill Nighy. ABOUT TIME is just so enjoyable to watch, and I'm sure it'll remain in my top 10 for many years to come!


#2 - DIRTY DANCING



Excuse my dirty copy - no pun intended! I'm sure the majority of the female population would agree with me that DIRTY DANCING is just one of the best films of all time. Despite coming out almost 30 years ago, the themes that it approaches are still relevant today. As a dancer myself, or rather, as someone who attended dance classes for 11 years, it's so inspiring to watch, and it truly shows how much effort dancing requires! I would definitely categorise it as one of those films that makes me wish I lived in the 80s, along with THE BREAKFAST CLUB.


#3 - EDWARD SCISSORHANDS



My love for Johnny Depp is timeless, I'm sure. He's 50 now - only 10 years younger than my parents - but I still fancy the pants off of him. But who doesn't!? To tell you the truth, I could easily cry from the start to the end of EDWARD SCISSORHANDS. There's just something about the way that Tim Burton portrayed the story that makes it so heartbreakingly beautiful. My favourite aspect of my film, though, has to be the fact that Johnny Depp only spoke 169 words throughout the entire 105 minutes, yet his performance could not be flawed in the slightest.


#4 - THE EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE



...yes, this made it into my top 10! Not many people understand why I love this film so much, but it's one of the most re-watchable films I've ever come across. If put to the test, I could probably quote every line of the film, I've seen it that many times. And who doesn't love a good old animated film, especially a disney one? This post is definitely showing my range of maturity - from EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, a very dark and sad film, to THE EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE, a silly kids film that I can't help but laugh at, even though I'm supposedly an 'adult'!


#5 - HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS



To prove my last point, this film also made it into my top 10! THE GRINCH is special though, as not only is it in my top 10, but it is also my favourite Christmas movie. No Christmas will ever pass without me watching this film. Being a huge Jim Carrey fan, at least one of his films had to make it onto this list! Thinking about it, I only own one other Jim Carrey film - BRUCE ALMIGHTY. If I'd have owned THE MASK on DVD, there'd be a high likelihood that that would have made it too! I can't not laugh at THE GRINCH, and I'm not ashamed to say that it's made me cry on more than one occasion. It's just the perfect Christmas film; not too cheesy, not too soppy, and not too cliché!


#6 - LOVE ACTUALLY



Now, I know what you're thinking - one Christmas film is fair enough, but two!? But of course, I have my reasons. THE GRINCH is my favourite Christmas film, whereas LOVE ACTUALLY is just my favourite film of all time. Despite it being a Christmas film, it's something that I can watch all year round, because the message still applies. Frankly, if it had a different cast, I'm not sure how highly I'd rate the film. Each story it tells is so brilliantly constructed but, personally, it's the cast that make it my favourite film. I mean, Bill Nighy, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson, Martin Freeman, Keira Knightly, Rowan Atkinson, and Kris Marshall. Seriously, how could they have found a better cast!?


#7 - THE NOTEBOOK



Before my heart fell for LOVE ACTUALLY, for a good few years THE NOTEBOOK was my favourite film. Even though it's not top anymore, it's still a film that means a huge deal to me. The first time I ever watched it, I was left speechless - literally. I'd cried so much that I genuinely could not speak after. Like most teenagers, I love all Nicholas Sparks films, but THE NOTEBOOK will always remain my favourite. I always find that with his films, or should I say books that have been made into films, that I'm more upset about the non-romantic storyline. For example, the dad dying in THE LAST SONG is far sadder than the love story between Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth. In THE NOTEBOOK, however, I could cry from start to finish. The non-romantic storyline, about Allie having dementia, is certainly heartbreaking, but I find the romantic storyline just as sad. That might be because it's very relatable to me, though, as the reason Noah and Allie break up in the first place is because she's going off to university - exactly the reason both of my relationships have failed.


#8 - THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER



I'm sure you'll all know by now how much I love this story, as I've mentioned the book on more than one occasion. When I found out that they were releasing a film, I wasn't sure how to feel. At the time, the book was well known within the Tumblr community, but it was nowhere near as popular as it is now... and I have to admit that I kind of liked that. I liked that it wasn't too well known, because that made it even more special to me. As soon as the film came out at the cinema, I went to go and see it with one of my best friends, Amy, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever watched. As I have the DVD, I've watched it since, and it's a lot easier to watch now. Because the book meant so much to me, more than any book ever had done before, seeing it come to life on the big screen was just overwhelming.


#9 - PITCH PERFECT



I've got to admit - before coming to university, I wasn't such a big fan of PITCH PERFECT. Don't get me wrong, I really did love the film, but I just didn't see why everyone was so obsessed with it. That all changed, though, as watching it with my flatmate Lizzy was a completely different experience. I must not have been paying attention fully the first time I'd watched it, because it is now, without a shadow of a doubt, one of my top 10 films. Funnily enough, I actually find it difficult to listen to songs from the film without singing the PITCH PERFECT version.


#10 - REMEMBER ME



Although I'm ashamed to admit it, I'll let you in on a little secret. I use to be a huge TWILIGHT fan. After seeing the first film, I obviously fell in love with Robert Pattinson. However, when I realised just how much of a fool I'd been for loving such a stupid film/book saga, my love for 'R Pattz' just grew and grew. A lot of people criticise him, and label him as a 'bad actor' because of TWILIGHT, but I will defend him until my last day because of REMEMBER ME. I'm not even sure if I could describe what the film is about, but the story is told so well, with such a brilliant leading role by R Pattz. There is a scene (and if anybody has seen REMEMBER ME, they'll know exactly which scene I'm talking about) where he bursts in on one of his Dad's important business meetings, and starts screaming at him for being such a bad father. The acting from both sides, as his Dad is played by Pierce Brosnan, is so unbelievably strong. And the plot twist at the end gives the film 10 times more meaning.

...Wow, I did not mean for this post to be this long! Apologies to anybody who got bored half way through, but if you're reading this, congratulations on making it to the end! Within my DVD collection in Manchester, I was torn between the 10 that I picked, and a few others such as UP, FORREST GUMP, and MARLEY & ME. Some of my favourite films, however, I don't actually own on DVD. I definitely need to invest in a copy of CHICAGO! What films would you put in your top 10?

2 comments:

  1. Mine is so completely different! I do like Love Actually though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list is probably quite generic, to be honest! Nothing that nobody's not really heard of. And who does't??

      Delete