'#NoMakeUpSelfie'

Friday, 21 March 2014

There's a chain mail going around Facebook at the moment called the '#NoMakeUpSelfie'. The aim of the game is to post a photo of yourself without any make-up on, along with a print screen of your donation to Cancer Research UK.

I have to admit, to begin with, I really did not understand this chain. I didn't understand how posting a picture of yourself with no make-up on was going to raise any money for charity. Despite my doubting, I am now much more aware of the impact of what first seemed like a 'silly' chain mail can make. Over the course of 48 hours, it managed to raise £1M for Cancer Research UK. You don't necessarily have to post a make-up-less photo of yourself on the internet, but if you announce that you've donated, and urge others to, the chain spreads wider and faster. All of those that have donated over the course of the past few days, including myself, would not have done so had it not been for this craze. Although it's pinpointing a weakness in our society - that we, as women, are not comfortable with our natural looks - the effect that it has had is incredible.

Cancer Resarch UK is a charity that I will always donate to, as cancer will have affected everybody's life in some way or another, whether that be directly or indirectly. My mum's mum, dad, and sister have all passed away from some form of cancer, along with my dad's brother; my aunt was only 43. Three of the four were heavy smokers their entire lives, with the exception of my Grand-Pa, who only smoked into his 20s. Seeing the effect that smoking can have on four important people in my life has thankfully deterred me away from ever following in their footsteps.

When I partook in a tandem skydive in November 2012, I supported the charity CLIC Sargent, who provide help and support for young victims of cancer, and their families. To this day, raising over £800 is my proudest accomplishment, and I would love to take part in many more sponsored events to raise money for those in dire need.

Back to the topic at hand, the '#NoMakeUpSelfie' chain mail has had a huge impact over the past few days, despite all the criticism that has been hurled at it. Myself, although I have done a few blog posts about make-up that I have bought, I don't wear a lot of make-up. I like to buy different lipsticks, and I wear mascara and blusher every day, but I'm not a girl that needs to wear make-up in order to leave the house. However, whenever I take a photo of myself, or of myself and my friends, I do tend to edit the photo quite a lot. Therefore, my contribution to the chain was a) to not wear any make-up in the picture, (which I found quite hard to do, surprisingly! I wear very little make-up, but the little I wear goes a long way, in my eyes), and b) to not edit the photo in the slightest.

How could raising money for an amazing charity ever be a negative thing?



⋅No comments

Post a Comment