Good End to February

Saturday, 1 March 2014

After posting about my good start to February here, I thought it was only appropriate to write a post about my good end to February, especially as it involved my best friend, Lyndsey.

Lyndsey came up to Manchester for 4 days as we had two performances lined up: 5 Seconds of Summer on Tuesday, and Russell Howard on Friday. She arrived on the Tuesday afternoon, and we decided to go for a McDonald's before heading off to the concert. We both genuinely felt so old and out of place when we got there, because all we could see around us were hundreds of screaming 14-year-old girls. Obviously we were every bit as excited as they were, but we just showed it in a different way. After finding a spot to stand in the crowd and realising that neither of us could see, we headed to the back of the room near the bar where we could see the stage perfectly, and stayed there for the rest of the night. 5 Seconds of Summer did not disappoint, and I'm so happy for them that they've become so successful over the past year. They're simply 4 Australian lads, only 1 of which is older than me. They supported One Direction on their tour last year, hence why Lyndsey and I know who they are, and ever since then they've just gotten bigger and bigger. They're a different style of music to One Direction, as they're definitely more rocky, but they have the same immature and silly attitude to performing, which makes concerts even more enjoyable.

On the Wednesday, I took Lyndsey to the Trafford Centre. I've only been there once myself, but I knew that it was somewhere that Lyndsey would love… and I was right! I love the Trafford Centre so much, it's definitely one of my favourite places in Manchester. It's just such a beautiful building; if I was into architecture at all, I'd never want to leave. We walked around the Selfridges for a bit, and despite both of buying things from either Topshop or Miss Selfridge, we both walked out of there with a yellow Selfridges bag. We didn't manage to look around all of the shops, because there are just so many. We walked around the entirety of the top floor and went in all of the shops that took our fancy, which included me finding out that there is a Fat Face there! I'm not really sure why I wasn't aware of this… I've searched on the Fat Face website since, and it doesn't come up under 'Manchester', but under 'Trafford' instead, hence why I never would have known unless someone had told me. I went in and spoke to somebody about my situation, and they asked me to go online and print an application form out and fill it in, and give it into the store. I'm not sure whether or not it's pointless to ask for a job now though, because it's already March. I'm going home for basically the whole of April, and then I'll only be back in Manchester for exams in May, and then I won't return until September. My plan, as it stands, is to ring up and ask to speak to the manager, and ask if I apply, can they keep my name on file until September, as I won't really be able to sign any contract for the Summer at the moment. They didn't have any vacancies at the moment anyway. At least it's another opportunity for me to get a job. The Trafford Centre is where I bought 'Every Day' by David Levithan.
 
 On Thursday, I had to go to uni for 5 hours. I had a seminar in the morning at 11am, then a two hour lecture, then an hour gap, and then another lecture. I used my hour gap to read my book in a peaceful place where other people were quietly getting on with their work. I have a few essays due in next week, but I knew that I'd need a lot longer than an hour to sort anything properly out, so I just used the time to read instead. We were planning to go swimming on Thursday night, but when I got back in, I was shattered, so we decided to go swimming on the Friday instead.

Again, I had to go to uni for 5 hours on the Friday. This time, I had a 2 hour gap, but I used it to read (and finish!) my book. Lyndsey then met me outside of uni and we went swimming for an hour or so, me doing 30 lengths, and her doing 15. We then headed home to get changed and cook, and then headed out to see Russell Howard! It was the second time I've seen him live, having seen his Right Here Right Now tour in 2011. Out of the three comedians I've seen live (him, Chris Ramsey, and Jason Manford), he's the only one that I've not met. It was a hilarious night, one that both Lyndsey and I thoroughly enjoyed. To add to my comedy list, I'm going to see Jack Whitehall with my family in just over a week's time, and then Lyndsey and I are going to see Lee Evans in September. Although my brother would massively disapprove of my favourite comedian, Michael McIntyre, I'm still yet to see him live!

Lyndsey caught her train home around lunchtime today. It was a lovely few days spent with my best friend, and seeing live performances of people that we both love.

…and now it's March! How is it March already!? We've just started the third month of the year, and it still feels like 2013 to me. I've come to the realisation that my first year of university is actually almost over. I'm only here until the beginning of April, before I go come for Easter for 3 weeks. Even when I come back, I'll only be here for the end of the semester and then my exams in May, meaning I only really have two months left of living in halls. I'm both happy and sad about that. Happy because as hard as I try, I can't help but feel negative about living in halls due to my bad start in my first semester. Additionally, I'm really looking forward to living with Catherine, someone that I'd call a very close friend, next year. On the other hand, I also can't help but feel sad to leave, purely because it's all I've ever known of living in Manchester.

Only two more years to go!



⋅No comments

Post a Comment