The Crazy Notion of 'True Love'

Friday, 14 February 2014

After a lengthy discussion that took place in Flat 18's kitchen last night, I'm left feeling as though I'm the only person that still believes in the notion of 'true love'. The discussion tackled subjects such as relationships, what we look for in a significant other, how old we want to be when we're married, how old we want to be when we have kids, how long we'd have to be in a relationship with someone for before we could be comfortable with the idea of marrying them, if we'd have to live with the person before we were married… etc etc etc. Most people were shocked by the opinions I held on the subject, and here's why:

I believe in true love. I believe that there is a person out there who isn't necessarily perfect for me, but who is as perfect me as they can be. I believe the when you know, you know.

Everyone seemed so shocked when I said that I liked the idea of being engaged by 25, that I liked the idea of having kids by the time I was 30. They said that I wouldn't have lived my life enough to already be tied down with a family - but that's all I aspire for in life right now. I don't know what career line I want to take, and even so, a family is vastly more important to me than any career I could have. I believe that the meaning of life is to make your own meaning, and my life would be purposeless without a family.

When it came to the question of how long we'd have to be with somebody before considering marriage, most people settled on 4+ years, having had to have lived with them for at least a year… but I said that it depends on the relationship. Some relationships go faster than others, and you may run out of 'firsts' and progressions before most people do. I said that it could take from any time between 6 months and 5 years to develop a relationship so secure that you knew you wanted to spend the rest of your life with them.

The things is, everyone said that they wished they could agree with me - that my idea of 'true love' was an idea that they all liked, but they're too cynical to actually think and feel the way I do. I just don't get that… I've always believed in true love, and I don't think I'll ever stop. Maybe that's a negative part of my personality, because it makes me ignorant to reality and makes me far more likely to be taken advantage of; but at the end of the day, I'm searching for somebody to spend the rest of my life with, and if amongst the idiots and the losers I actually manage to find that one person, it'll all be worth it.

The reason that the topic was brought up in the first place was because of the date today - February 14th, Valentine's Day. Lizzy and I had already decided to be each others valentine, and to spend this evening eating cheesecake and watching soppy movies. I made her a card and posted it under her door this morning, and she put mine on the fridge door with a magnet. After the discussion last night, I was left feeling a little disheartened that nobody agreed with me, and felt quite alone in my search for a 'soulmate', but the message that Lizzy wrote in my card made me smile immensely - I shouldn't stop believing something because other people don't/can't agree.

I will continue to believe in true love and I will continue on my search, inevitably experiencing a few heartbreaks along the way. But hey, that's life… isn't that the point? It is at least for me, anyway!



⋅No comments

Post a Comment