Trying To Get Myself Sorted

Wednesday, 29 January 2014

I'm not going to lie - the first semester of my university life was not as great as I expected it to be. I missed home a lot; I didn't enjoy my course; I didn't make any really good friends that I felt I could open up to; I felt very much alone and confused.

However, since being back in Manchester after Christmas, I have tried my absolute hardest to make my life here better. My first point of call was to try and get a job at the Manchester Fat Face - unfortunately I had no luck there, as they don't have any current vacancies. I didn't give up there though - I've given my CV into Ark, as they were advertising for part-time staff, and later on today I am going to take a trip to Manchester Airport to see if the journey would be feasible for me to even think about applying for a job at the Fat Face there. If neither of those options result in a job, I will continue to search, because I need something other than education in my life.

As mentioned in my last blog post, I have taken up swimming and have come to the decision to swim 70 lengths each week. As the pool is 23 metres, to swim 1km would be 44 lengths. I'd love to swim 1km each time I go swimming, but right now I'm not that capable. 70 lengths is the equivalent of a mile, and so I'd be swimming 1 mile each week, and I'm satisfied with that.

I've tried to get my course sorted, and have actually been successful! I contacted the history undergraduates office, and they've made me an offer for to study Politics and Modern History from September onwards. The only downside of that is having to start in first year again, meaning I'd be in Manchester for a year longer than planned, and I'd also have to pay another £9,000 in tuition fees… I still have the option of carrying on with my Philosophy course, as I'm going to carry on with it until the end of this year anyway. After speaking to a few people here and there, it's not uncommon for people to feel like they've chosen the wrong degree, and those I know of that changed degrees have benefited from it because they enjoyed the second option so much more.

Another issue that was ticking away in my brain was where I'm going to live next year. I've already signed a contract for a 10 person house, but I wasn't entirely comfortable with the situation. After a lot of thinking and talking it over with various people, I came to the decision that I wanted to find somewhere else to live instead. My friend Catherine lives in Manchester, and so I'll be living with her next year, which I think would make me quite a bit more comfortable. I'm still friends with the people I live with this year, and I know a few people from my course, and if I start a new course then I'll be able to meet even more people - AND if I get a job I'll be able to meet even more people… so hopefully I won't be so lonely anymore.

So I've sorted out/am in the process of sorting out the things that were getting me down - not having a job, being bored without anything to do, not enjoying my course, worrying about the living arrangements for next year. Now that I've started to make proper progress into trying to make Manchester a place that I really want to live, I feel a lot better.

I'm home this weekend and have plans to see a few friends here and there, and I'm really looking forward to it after having such a hectic few weeks trying to sort everything out. Here's to hoping everything works out for the best, because I'm sure that it always does.

⋅No comments

Post a Comment