The Fault in Our Stars

Thursday, 30 January 2014

The reason that I read The Fault in Our Stars last year is simply because of how much I love John Green -  not as an author, but as a person. Him and his brother, Hank Green, have a YouTube channel called the 'Vlogbrothers', in which they vlog themselves as a sort of letter to the other. The topic of their vlogs can go from something intellectual, like politics, to something less so, like Hank's attempt to tell as many bad jokes as he can in the space of 4 minutes. No matter the topic, each of them have this remarkable charm… and when I found out that John Green was an author, nothing could have been more perfect.

As mentioned in my earlier blogpost, '10 Books That Stayed With You' , the first John Green book I read was Looking for Alaska. I'd tried to read the book multiple times, and when I finally came round to reading it form start to finish, John Green instantly became one of my favourite authors.

The second John Green book I read was The Fault in Our Stars. To summarise, it's about a teenage girl with cancer trying to make the most of her inevitably short life, when she comes across a boy in a similar situation to her own. Obviously they fall in love, and obviously, as it's a cancer story, there is a heartbreaking ending. I made the mistake of reading the book to and from work on the bus, and I had to hide my tears as I could not put the book down.

Shortly after I'd finished reading the book, I was happy to find out that it was being made into a film! I always have mixed opinions when books get made into films because:
a) They might not do the book justice
b) If they do not do the book justice, and the film is widely known, the public will not know the true storyline
c) The story will be more popular and sometimes that means that it loses it's special meaning

Nevertheless, I couldn't be happier for John Green that one of his bestsellers is going to make it to the big screen. The trailer for The Fault in Our Stars came out yesterday (posted below), and I am unsure how I'm going to be able to sit through the entire film when a 2 minute trailer almost made me cry. It's evident so far that they've tried to stay very close to the book; the actors that they've cast, although they aren't perfect, seem to understand the characters perfectly; they have used actual quotes from the book within the film. After watching the trailer, I am very excited (and very nervous) for the film to be released in June this year!


⋅No comments

Post a Comment