Homesick

Monday, 2 December 2013

Since moving to Manchester, I've never gone longer than two weeks without being in Nottingham. The first month included two visits - mainly due to a long distance relationship, but also due to missing my family and my dog. Two weeks after the second trip home, I went home for over a week due to Reading Week, and in that week I managed to see each one of my friends that I miss so dearly. One week after going back to Manchester, I went to see Kodaline in Birmingham, and ended up going back to Nottingham for the weekend afterwards as it was the safest option. And one week later, I travelled with Sophie down to London for Vans Warped Tour, which also involved a few nights in Nottingham. Do I even live in Manchester?

Despite having lived in another city for two and half months now, I'm really starting to miss home having not been back to Nottingham for over two weeks now. I love living in Manchester so so much, I have a great set of friends here, there's always something to do - there's never really a boring moment. But I sometimes miss the boring moments, the moments where everything isn't so hectic.


I received an email from my dad the other day sending me two photos of him and my dog, Otto, and they made me both smile and want to cry. Smile because they are such beautiful photos, and my dad has never really had a photo of just him and our dog before. But want to cry because Otto went through a rough patch a month or so ago where we thought we were going to lose him, and now I miss him and my family more than ever.

In all honesty, I didn't really think I was the kind of person to be homesick - I couldn't wait to go to university. Don't get me wrong, I love Nottingham and I love my family, but I was just ready to move on with my life and do something purely by myself. At the end of the day, I guess you just miss the things you take for granted. I was so focused on wanting to go to university that I hadn't really thought that I'd actually miss my life back in Nottingham.

Christmas starts in just less than two weeks for me! My Mum and Dad are coming up to Manchester on the 13th, I'm going to show them around Manchester a little bit and go for something to eat, and then they're staying in a hotel nearby and driving me back home on the Saturday.

I cannot wait, I cannot wait, I cannot wait!

⋅No comments

Post a Comment