Why I Love One Direction

Tuesday, 26 November 2013

Over the past year and a half, One Direction has become a very big part of my life. To the average person, that might sound quite strange - how can a band, a boy band at that, become a big part of your life without you actually knowing them? My answer: easily.

It's true that I don't know any member of the band, nor am I likely to ever know them, but that doesn't mean that I can't know them through their music, their interviews, what they post on the internet, their video diaries… at the risk of sounding like a complete fool to anybody who has never felt like I have, I will argue until the death that I know them inside out.

Don't get me wrong, before I liked One Direction I was not a fan of their genre of music. It's catchy, it's something you sing along to, but it's never something you actually give a proper listen to. But it's different with One Direction. When you like the people in a band, you're more easily infatuated with the music - much like how if you like a person, they seem a lot more attractive than you might have originally thought. I can honestly say that I love all of their music just because it's them that sings it; each one of them makes me smile, they have such beautiful and powerful voices.

At this stage you're probably thinking, what is this loon talking about!? One Direction is a boy band manufactured by the pop industry, they're nothing to be taken seriously or get this worked up about. I've had a lot of criticism about liking One Direction over the past year and a half, and I find it increasingly difficult to defend myself. But thinking about it, why should I have to defend having a love for something that makes me happy? Yes, maybe nobody will understand my love for a group of five idiot lads that make generic music unless they like them too, but they're honestly a massive source of positivity in my life. When I'm having a bad day, when I'm in a bad mood, when I'm upset and need cheering up, they have the ability to make me smile when not a lot of people I actually know can.

Seeing them perform live twice this year were two of the best days of my life - seriously. I had such an amazing time in the same room as five of my favourite people in the world, along with one/two of my best friends (Lyndsey went to both, Craig only went to one). They're not a typical boy band; they don't have dance routines, they don't have to do a certain thing. They literally do whatever they damn well please. At one of the concerts, they had a water fight, along with throwing lemons and limes at each other on stage, all of which was spontaneous, just because they could get away with it. They are honestly just five idiots having the time of their life, and sharing their happiness with their fans. I can't even express how thankful I am for that.

At the end of the day, One Direction are one of my favourite things about my life - they've brought great music into my life, they've brought me a lot of laughter, they've brought my best friend Lyndsey and I a lot closer together, and they've made me realise that to have a closed-mind is to not really have a mind at all.

I will continue to love Louis, Niall, Harry, Liam, and Zayn without having to defend myself, and nothing anybody can say will change that. They might not be everybody's cup of tea, but each to their own, right?

⋅No comments

Post a Comment