UK Vans Warped Tour 2013

Tuesday, 19 November 2013

This weekend, I attended the UK Vans Warped Tour at Alexandra Palace in London with the mindset that I wasn't going to have a very good time. Looking at the US line up, I loved so many of the bands that were playing, or had played previous years, such as You Me At Six, All Time Low, Mayday Parade, Bring Me The Horizon, etc, but when it came round to the line up for the 2013 UK show, I'd heard of three of the acts prior to going.

I did my research and listened to a few bands here and there and decided on those that I thought I'd perhaps like, but I usually like to go to a concert where I know the words - I know every single word to every single The Script song, and seeing them twice has been the best two experiences of my life. So I left for London on Saturday morning expecting to not have a good weekend…

I was wrong! I actually had such a good weekend with one of my oldest friends, Sophie, and I honestly haven't laughed that much in a very long time. I couldn't even tell you what we were laughing at, we just seemed to find humour in everything that we did, and I realised just how much I miss having her around. She's moving to Turkey next May, so that's really going to suck knowing that she's not just a train-ride away anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't listen to the bands that played Warped on a day-to-day basis, the music is definitely too rocky for me, but hearing the music live was something else. It was amazing to experience the atmosphere and see different performances from different bands. One band that I'd listened to prior to the weekend was called 'The Younger', and I managed to see them do an acoustic set on Sunday -  I could have sat there and listened to them all day. The main singer, Dan Lawrence, has the most beautiful and powerful voice I've ever heard. Not knowing anything about the band apart from a few songs here and there, I went away and looked them up, and it turns out that they're too new of a band to even have a wikipedia page! Nevertheless, I downloaded their free EP and hope to see a lot more of them!

One person I knew prior to going to Warped was a guy called Watsky, who I knew of due to YouTube and one of my best friends, Sally, is one of his biggest fans and has seen him live. She made it sound like he gives an amazing performance, and I know a few of his songs, so I made sure to see him. Sally had told me that he does crazy stunts during his performances, and boy was she not wrong - he climbed a 35ft lighting rig, walked along to the middle, and jumped into the audience. At the time, it was INSANE, but I found out afterwards that the crowd had parted, he'd fallen to the floor and had to be taken away in an ambulance, along with two people that he'd landed on, one of which had broken their arm due to his fall. Thankfully all three are still alive, but I honestly didn't even realise that it'd happened until I looked on the internet several hours after leaving!

All in all, I had a really good weekend when I wasn't expecting to, which is always a nice surprise. It's made me more enthralled to go to other festivals - I don't quite think I could hack Leeds/Reading, but I could definitely give V festival a go! Now to beg my best friend, Lyndsey, to go with me and save money to buy a ticket...

⋅No comments

Post a Comment