Change

Thursday, 7 November 2013

In the last few months, my life has undergone a vast amount of changes:
  • I left college, and came out with three As at A Level
  • I passed my driving test
  • I entered (and left) a relationship
  • I left my job at Fat Face after loving working there for over a year
  • I moved to Manchester to study philosophy at university



Although the other changes in my life were still significant (especially the relationship, which had a massive effect on my life for two/three months), nothing really compares to the change of moving to a new city where you don't know a soul.

I wouldn't consider myself a particularly social person - don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-social; I do have many friends who I love and cherish... I'm very outgoing, and loud, and downright annoying when you know me, but when it comes to meeting new people, I have a bit of a weakness. Despite this, I'd been looking forward to moving to Manchester for over a year, and was actually getting really excited at the prospect of meeting so many new people and making so many new friends.

A week before I was due to move, I started to get really panicky - but good panicky. I was terrified, but in the best way possible. Thankfully, a few of my flatmates and I had found each other on facebook, so it gave us a chance to get to know each other slightly before we actually met in person, which personally helped me a lot. On some level, I honestly didn't think I was cut out for university life - I'm scared of people I don't know, I don't know how to handle situations where I'm out of my comfort zone, I'm not a big lover of going out a lot... I was just nervous that people wouldn't like me, really.

But moving to Manchester has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and I've been here just less than two months. My flat and I are honestly such good friends - when speaking to people outside of the flat, others have found it so strange to find out that our entire flat gets along and really like each other, so I guess we lucked out there. One of the many advantages of being such good friends with the flat is that when I went through a break up recently, where I was inevitably a mess for a good few days/weeks, they were all there for me and asking how I was doing... if I hadn't really liked many people in my flat and wasn't close to any of them, I would have found it so much harder and probably ended up coming home for a while just because it would have been easier to deal with - 'd have been running away from my problems. So I am eternally grateful to my flat for providing me with such amazing support when I really needed it.

A year ago, my life wasn't how it is now at all. I wasn't particularly enjoying college (let's be honest, I never really did), I was terrified that I'd never get the grades I needed to move on with my life and get to university - I wasn't in a bad place in my life, but on reflection, I'm in such a better place now. Thank you to everybody that's put a smile on my face in the past few months while I've been going through so many changes. although the majority of them were positive, some of them could have been a lot harder to cope with if it hadn't been for my friends. They're my saviours.

⋅No comments

Post a Comment